From Father to Son

I was asked to speak in church today and the subject was .... SURPRISE... the influence of fathers. I'm not going to post the talk, but while writing the talk I was struck with a creative bug and wound up writing a poem that I'd like to share. Hope you like it.

From Father to Son…

 

You taught me how to tie my shoes and say my ABCs

You picked me up when I fell down and tended to scraped knees

You showed me how to treat my mom with love and with respect

My manners and my character never to neglect

 

You taught me when to hold back tears and put on a strong face

You taught me the important things, never to disgrace

Like family- and baseball- my values- and my God

What big tracks I must follow in, if with you I’m to trod

 

You showed me there were times when we must look out for the weak

That truly we are slighter than the humble and the meek

You taught me being biggest doesn’t always win the round

That rather it’s the smartest man who goes home with the crown

 

Clean me up and tuck me in, watch over me at night

Teach me when to stand my ground and ready me to fight

For good- and right- and decent things- that need someone to say

I’ll not back down I’ll not turn back, my dad raised me this way

 

And now I stand impatiently, in this sterile place

and wait to hold my little one and look upon his face

And tell him of the fun adventures we are sure to have

With him and me and Grandpa, as I learn to be a dad

 

To teach him how to tie his shoes and say his ABCs

And pick him up when he falls down and tend to his scraped knees

As I try my best to teach him how he ought to be

I’ll think back upon you dad, and the way that you raised me 

2 comments:

  1. Lois Brown said...:

    Wow....what an awesome poem. I bet your dad was touched and amazed by such a tribute! You are such a talented man Matt! I'm honored to know you and love that you love Lindsey so much and take such good care of each other! Have fun this weekend at Park City!

  1. Oh my GOSH. That was amazing. In fact, I had to take a break, walk away, and come back to reading it so that I wouldn't just burst into tears.
    That was so special. I want to hang it in my boys' bedrooms.
    I'm glad to see you guys are back to posting, not because it's the most important thing in the world but because I like knowing what's going on with you! I hope the anniversary celebrating went/goes well. I forgot to look at the dates on the posts, so I don't know if it already happened! Haha...but good luck Lindsey, if you've yet to fly out there! Luckily, the SLC airport is pretty easy. It was the first and only place I've ever flown to by myself too! :)
    Love you guys,
    Mandy

 
The Cobb Spot © 2011 | Designed by Ibu Hamil, in collaboration with Uncharted 3 News, MW3 Clans and Black Ops