The greys are seaping in

I don't have a lot of time today, but my mind's been heavy as of late and I wanted to share.

We have become a nation of know-it-alls. And for the most part we're right. I have become more and more aware of the fact that facts, are becoming a thing of the past. Used to, if you had statistics to back you up, people believed you. If you were an expert on a subject, your conclusions were respected. So whether we're wrong on a subject or not, we can always appear right, if you know how to. This society of a... let's call it "subject to interpretation" mentality, wears thin for people who hold strong convictions.

I was discussing politics with a friend of mine, and I was explaining how a reduction in taxes during the Bush administration actually increased the federal tax revenue. I was going to go find some stats on the matter to illustrate and I realized that even statistics can be argued over. No matter how cut and dry, how obvious it is, or how many people agree with you, there's always an "expert" that will interpret the same data differently.

Bear with me, I promise I have a point...

The same thing applies to science. There is more disagreement in science than ever before. To the point where people are more concerned with taking sides of a theory, then actually testing that theory. Case and point: Global Warming. Half the scientist say it's our fault, half think it's natural, and ANOTHER half (that's right... 3 halves) don't even think it's warming at all.


We no longer live in a world where you can trust what a person can "prove". We're asked to judge the personalities and intentions of our leaders, of whom we know more about than their closest friends, and at the same time, don't know them at all. And everyone's got to have an opinion or you're not "plugged in". Well I'm definitely plugged in and it's becoming more and more apparent that my opinion means squat... EXCEPT...

There still is one subject that I consider NOT up to interpretation. The gospel is my safe haven. Our church leaders are wise beyond my comprehension and I am thankful that they have always advised us not to argue or debate the elements of our faith. It is because of that wisdom that I can lean on my faith that I have a loving Heavenly Father, and that I am his son.

When others look at issue like drug use, abortion, and gay marriage and get caught up in the "interpretation" of those principles (this includes many mainstream Christians as well) I can look to modern day revelation and know with a surety that these things are wrong.

I had someone ask me once, "What makes you so special that you can judge what's right and wrong for everyone else?" and I'm glad to say that I don't have to. The judgment has been made regarding our time here on Earth and what we are to do with it. All I have to do is let the Spirit guide me and the truth of right and wrong will always be made clear.

So here's to black and white. May it withstand all the greys of the world.

5 comments:

  1. Best post I've read anywhere in a long time. don't have a lot of time to expound right now, but that was a great read. And very intelligently put. And...wait, I said I don't have a lot of time...anyway...someday when we are old and have all the time in the world we shall have wonderful discussions, you and I. :)
    Mandy

  1. Matt said...:

    Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I have to give some credit to my best bud Jose for being my sounding board while I was working it all out (aka venting) the other day. So... you think you could add me to your blog so I can read it.

    I went to check it out the other day and was hard-core-DENIED! lol

  1. Devon said...:

    Matt- I didn't know you were such a hard thinker! That photo of you on the john threw me off. :)

  1. Nelson Family said...:

    Just saying Hi, I read your blog now.

  1. i also enjoyed this. Stamp of approval....there's a lot i could comment on, but i'll settle for one thing...and a silly thing at that:
    Three halves. What an androo&matt thing to say. And it actually relates to your discussion on statistics, because i can't tell you how many times androo (and you were probably involved) made up "facts" that were "half this and half this....and half that." Goo.
    haha.

 
The Cobb Spot © 2011 | Designed by Ibu Hamil, in collaboration with Uncharted 3 News, MW3 Clans and Black Ops