my place in this world

hrm. Bonnie posted a blog a few weeks ago about her feelings and about what a blog really is, and it kinda inspired me (i heart you, Bonnie Jean). 

So if you don't want to continue reading, it's cool. :)

I love my calling. I love to serve these Young Women and to see the light they shine. I love it, I love it, I love it. But I suppose I'm in somewhat of a predicament. You know that awkward stage where you're a teenager and you want so badly to be young and hip, but you want so badly to be an adult? I'm still there. 

I guess I've always kinda had a problem with fitting in. I would probably consider myself a friendly person, but I'm shy. Heh, can you believe that? It's weird, though. I'm shy around people that I know. It's like I don't know how they take me. Do they remember me? Do they want to talk to me? Do they think I'm stuck up because I'm not approaching them? And by this time too much time has elapsed and it's awkward. I'm no good at awkward which is probably why I don't really have well.... I don't have many friends, or ones that live here and are available to hang with. Sure, there are people that I admire and look up to, but sometimes I wonder if they feel the same about me or if I'm still that annoying little teenager that they hope will one day leave them alone. If that's not the case, then it's these young women where I feel the most comfortable as far as belonging. But then I wonder if they are thinking similar things (except for the teenager and growing up part). I'm in this boat. Either everyone I know knew me as much younger, or I know them now and they have kids. We're like at different places in life. I want badly to have a lot of good friends, but I guess as I grew older I kinda forgot how to become friends. 

After a lot of mixed emotions, I realized what was underlying. I have a best friend. A friend that will be there for me no matter what! Who doesn't think I'm annoying or childish (and if I am, he doesn't say so). A friend who cares for me as much as I do him. Does he feel these similar feelings from me? I admire him so much, and he loves that about me. Although this sounds much like my dear husband, it's not. It's my Savior. 

Once again, a lot of emotions-- Have I abandoned Him? the weird thing is that Matt and I are on this 40 day challenge. We've been doing well for the past 10 days, and part of this challenge is reading scriptures together and praying together. You would think that these actions would draw me nearer to my Savior. Perhaps most of this is Satan taking my insecurities and trying to make me feel like nobody wants to be my friend. I know that's not true. So I won't let him. It's like I'm trying so hard to fit in, when I was born to stand out. (I'm thinking that's a quote from something but I can't remember what) I know I can overcome this with the help of my Savior. Like I said, he's always there for me. 

Don't feel obligated to comment. I'm good. I guess I figure things out better if I can get them out of my head.

ps- I want to be your friend!

4 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Hi Lindsey-
    Fun blog! When I was first called to serve with the young women a couple of years ago I had the same feelings... it's hard to be their leader when you were barely a young woman yourself! I think with time those feelings kind of vanished and it became more of a natural thing to be their leader and not worry about whether or not they liked me. I don't know. Just a thought. Like I grew into the calling and then those insecurities-similar to the ones you've described, I think-sort of vanished. Good luck!

  1. Lindsey said...:

    :) I'll be your friend...when I see you I think you always look so good! You always have nice hair. :) So, if you are ever wondering what I'm thinking about you when I see you, it's probably that.

    Oh, and the quote "why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out" is from one of my favorite movies "What a Girl Wants." Good one! Let's play with the pigs when I come home next!!!

    Oh, and ps- whenever your family talks about you I always have to double check and make sure it's not me they are referring to. Very confusing at times. :)

    Lindsey

  1. Lois Brown said...:

    Lindsey my sweet! Everyone goes through feelings like this. Even 50 yr old women sometimes (remember when you said "How could sis. Brown ever think.....?) well that is how...you are right it is Satan that wants us to feel this way. And I loved your testimony of your Savior! I remember when we were first married and didn't have children...it is harder to find that nitch because most of our newley married friends had children right away...and we didn't and they wondered what was wrong with us...and your single friends are out dating and doing other single things! I am sure the YW in our Stake only think...."Wow what a great and fun leader she is!"

    I also lived at a place where I grew up and it is different because people do remember you as a youth and not an adult...but even if they start out thinking that way it will change soon, because let me tell you....anyone who listens to you and the wise choices you and Matt are making financially, spiritually etc... will only see what brilliant adults you have become and be very impressed!

    Someone said something very wise to me just recently and I believe it applies to you as well....

    Satan knows that he can not shake your testimony of the Gospel and your Savior. he knows you are too sure in those areas....so they only way he can get you is to have you doubt who you are as a daughter of God. That maybe your lacking something, or that people don't like you or whatever it may be...that is how he tempts you...to believe that instead of ....that everyone loves you, they admire you and may even wish that they could be more like you and you just need to know that being Lindsey is more than enough!

    I love you...and I definately admire you and I am very much your friend!

  1. Jenny said...:

    I'm glad Lindsey beat me to the movie reference, because I was about to be way off and say it was "Mulan." Her dad said something to pick her spirit up, but this particular quote is definitely from "What a Girl Wants." And I so love that movie!! :)

    Lindsey, you are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Seriously. I know I joke that it's weird that I babysat you and now we get to serve together as adults, but I think it's really cool! I just love that I've been able to know you for so long, and I mostly just can't believe how fast time has flown. It adds so much to my life, and I know other people would agree. You are seriously an inspiration to me!!!

 
The Cobb Spot © 2011 | Designed by Ibu Hamil, in collaboration with Uncharted 3 News, MW3 Clans and Black Ops